Licensure Renewal-Susan Collins

Spring 2014
Check the Educator Licensure
Information System (ELIS) to
review your credentials.
If you have never been in ELIS, you
will need to create an account. Go to:
Click on “Educator Access.”
Click on “Former ECS Users Click Here for First
Time Access to the ELIS System.”
 Enter personal info and create a login/password to create your account.
 Continue to your Home Page in ELIS.
On your home page, click on “View Your
Credentials” to access all of your credentials online.
Be sure the registration of your
license(s) is/are correct.
Be sure your certificate endorsements
properly transferred over to your license.
Check your license
registration carefully.
If anything is incorrect in your
file, email [email protected]
with details of the inaccuracies.
If your old Standard Teaching
Certificate (now a Professional
Educator License-PEL) was
due to be renewed in 2014,
you will need to complete the
old certification renewal
process in ELIS.
For PEL’s with teaching
endorsements expiring
June 30, 2014:
Option 1: CPDU’s
With a Bachelor’s Degree, you need 120 CPDU’s.
With a Master’s Degree, you need 80 CPDU’s.
PEL’s (teaching) expiring in 2014:
 Option 2: Course work
 With a Bachelor’s Degree, you need 8 semester hours.
 With a Master’s Degree, you need 6 semester hours.
 Option 3: Other options, examples:
 Additional Endorsement
 National Board Certification
Professional Development activities
must be entered into ELIS.
 Click on “View My Credentials” on the home page. Then click
on “Educator” and then “Professional Development.”
Click on the link “Click Here to Add
Professional Development Hours.”
Enter Professional Development
on this screen.
Add professional development
activities one at a time.
 Show the category of professional development in
the “Activity Name” field.
 i.e. Enter “CPDU” or “College Course” in this field.
 Be sure to label each activity with the appropriate
 i.e. A, B, C, D, or E.
 Add number of CPDU’s or semester hours in the
“Hours” field.
PEL’s (teaching) expiring in 2014
CPDU Option only:
 Regular Ed. teachers: 20% of your CPDUs must
address Purpose E.
 Special Ed. Teachers: 50% of your CPDUs must
address Purpose E.
When all of your professional
development (PD) activities have been
entered, click on “Submit Professional
 Indicate that you want the professional
development submitted to KANE ROE-31.
 Watch the status of your PD in ELIS. The ROE will
return the PD back to you if corrections need to be
 Make the suggested corrections and re-submit the
PD to the ROE.
When your PD has been
approved, you are able to pay to
register your license for the next
5 year period.
 Click on “Registration” near the top of
the screen.
 Click on “Click Here to Register
These Licenses.”
 There is a $50 fee to renew.
 See pages 27-28.
Educators should enter PD
activities into ELIS as they
participate in the activities.
 Under the new law, effective July 1, 2014, all PD
will have to be entered into ELIS within 60 days of
 You MUST complete your renewal process by
June 30th of the year your registration expires.
 Effective July 1, 2014, you will have only 60 days
to renew an expired license.
 Licenses not renewed by September 1 of the year
in which they expire will LAPSE.
 To reinstate a lapsed license you will need to pay a
$500.00 penalty or take 9 semester hours of
course work.
For those with the old Initial
Teaching Certificate (Now a
Professional Educator
The next several slides explain what
happened during the exchange for those
with these certificates.
If you had an initial certificate in
the old certification system,
check the registration expiration
date of your new
Professional Educator License
You will NO LONGER move to
a Standard Certificate.
Initial and Standard Certificates were
eliminated with the new licensure system
that became effective July 1, 2013.
The new validity period for
these PEL’s is from July 1,
2013 through June 30, 2018.
 The registration from your old initial teaching
certificate was transferred to your new PEL.
 If your registration expires in 2014, 2015, 2016, or
2017, you’ll need to pay to register your license
until 2018.
Here is an example of the exchange of
an initial certificate to a license:
 Notice that your “Registered Thru” date is different than your
“Expires” and “Renews” date.
You won’t need to show any professional
development (PD) to register your license at
this time.
 When you renew your license in 2018, you will be required to
show professional development activities.
 Begin or continue participating in PD.
 Enter it into ELIS as you complete it.
To register your license, click on
“Registration” on your home page.
On the next screen click on “Click
Here to Register these Licenses.”
Follow the instructions to
pay to register your license.
Once it is registered, your license should
then show a “Registered Thru” date of 2018.
Verify that this has occurred.
For educators whose licenses
expire beyond June 30, 2014,
we are waiting for the rules to
be written by ISBE regarding
the details of licensure renewal

similar documents