EduBriefEff1Oct12 - Wisconsin Service Member Support Division

Education Services
01 October 2012
To improve the strength and
readiness of the WI Army National
Guard by supporting the civilian
education needs of Soldiers and
families through counseling and
providing information which
focuses on the optimal usage of
benefits and incentives available to
further both professional and
military goals.
Our office exists to support you.
-Select Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP)
-Student Loan Repayment Program
-GI Bill Kicker
-Federal Tuition Assistance
-Wisconsin Tuition Grant Reimbursement Program (DMA)
-Wisconsin GI Bill Tuition Remission Program (WDVA)
• GI BILL BENEFITS (Chapters 1606, 1607, 30 and 33)
• Counseling & Testing
•Soldiers reenlisting/extending “cannot” contract for more than
“one” incentive in that service period.
•Soldiers currently receiving benefits under the MGIB kicker
(grandfather clause) are eligible to reenlist/extend for the REB.
•Soldiers with an active SLRP contract are not eligible if they
will be receiving payments during the same
reenlistment/extension period as the REB.
Re-Enlistment/Extension Bonus
Reenlistment/Extension bonuses will be offered to Soldiers
E-7 and below if within 12 months of their ETS and
must extend for a three or six-year term of service.
General Qualifications
Have not reached 90 days from current ETS. (Soldiers at 90 days or less from ETS are not
authorized the REB)
Soldiers must hold the military grade and skill qualification for the vacancy for which
reenlisting/extending. They cannot be excess.
Soldiers not DMOSQ due to unit transition(reorg/inactivation/relocation) may receive the REB
if otherwise eligible and must become DMOSQ within 24 months of contract date
Soldiers must be processed in GIMS under contract
type “RB NON-MOSQ due to transition/deployment”
Re-Enlistment/Extension Bonus
Must be E-7 or below with less than 13 Years time in service (TIS).
Must not be FLAGGED for any reason at the time of contract.
Technicians and AGR’s are not eligible
DA 4836/DD 4 Series and addendum must all be signed and dated the
same date as stated when the control number was requested in GIMS
All other REB will be paid as a lump sum payment
Student Loan Repayment Program
– $50,000 maximum repayment of student loans
– Pays 15% of disbursed loans up to $7,500 (including interest) or
$500 per year, whichever is greater.
– May add new disbursed loans only when extending for an
additional 6 year commitment at the end of the current SLRP
contract term
Eligibility Requirements
– Must have at least 1 qualifying (Title IV Federal loan) and disbursed
student loan at time of enlistment or extension.
– Must contract while Enlisted with 6 year extension. Must be within
365-91 Day ETS Window. Officers are not eligible but may retain
SLRP – will not be authorized Officer Bonus.
– Must be DMOS-Q for position they are extending in
– Must not have previously contracted for SLRP/ELRP
– AGR/MIL TECH ineligible/terminated for SLRP.
Student Loan Repayment Program
SLRP cont.
Check for qualifying SLRP loans
Required documents to contract for SLRP -- Needed for all loans!
– NSLDS Aid Summary Sheet
– NSLDS Detail Loan Information Sheet(s)
Must be scanned into GIMS when requesting SLRP
Loans in default are not eligible for repayment and lose payment for the
entire year.
Unit S-1/Career Counselor must request a SLRP control number
(BCN) in GIMS (NLT 5 days before extension date)
Extension and SLRP Addendum dated (same day) No exceptions.
ALL required documents for annual payments must be submitted
through the unit using the TL system!
SLRP (Recommendations)
• Soldiers that have (2) loan holders should consolidate loans
immediately. This will be more advantageous for the Soldier.
Again, this is strongly encouraged to better process payments
• All Soldiers should inquire with their loan holder on how to
request loan/s be put in forbearance/deferment. This may help
any undo financial hardship. This is solely on the loan holder to
POC : SSG Jingbo Zhang
[email protected]
SLRP - Payment Process
DD 2475 sent to Soldiers AKO email from WI-Education office
(30-60 days from anniversary date). Soldier may request this
form thru unit if he/she did not receive within 30 days of
anniversary date.
Detailed Instructions will be sent to Soldier/unit, to include
guidance on how to properly fill out DD 2475.
Soldier is responsible for receiving the form back from the
loan holder directly. Forms should not be sent directly to
EDUC office from the lender.
Unit will send thru WTL – Summary Page, Each Individual
Loan Screen Shot and the DD 2475/s. Consolidated in (1)
Scan. No exceptions.
Bonus/SLRP Suspension
1. Enter period of non-availability ING (1 year for personal reasons
or 3 years for missionary obligation) and must contract for nonavailability time within 90 days of return to a drilling status
• Only one suspension of non-availability may be granted
2. Become flagged for adverse action
3. SMP/ROTC Cadet; election of the OAB will determine termination
with/without recoupment of enlisted bonus. Must serve one day of
enlisted contract.
** Reinstatement of bonus eligibility is not guaranteed. Provided
Soldiers meet all requirements for participation, payments
will be processed to be effective on the date the suspension
is lifted or on the adjusted anniversary date of satisfactory
creditable service **
Bonus Termination w/ Recoupment &
SLRP Termination
1. 1 unexcused absences (U codes) in 12 month period
*Unsat Participation = 1 unexcused absence for each 4-hr pd
- This is for Soldiers who contract for incentives AFTER 5
June 2012.
- Solider was AWOL and now a Satisfactory Participant
WILL NOT reinstate bonus based on this
2. Separates from ARNG for any reason not addressed in policy
3. Failure to return to active status within approved time period
for non-availability or failure to extend their enlistment to
cover time in an inactive status
4. Separation from ARNG due to death, injury, illness or
impairment that is the result of SM’s own misconduct
5. Failure to extend for the period of non-availability within 90
days of returning to a drilling status
Bonus Termination w/ Recoupment &
SLRP Termination (cont)
5. Failure to stay in a valid, vacant position (SIDPERS CODE 9993)
(1 bonus authorized per position) – SMs placed in over strength
due to reorg, conversion or relocation will have 24 months to be
placed in valid vacancy – Not coded 9993
6. Voluntary retirement
7. Discharge while under suspension of favorable action
8. Two consecutive APFT or body fat failures
9. Failure to maintain medical and dental readiness
10. Failure to become DMOSQ within 24 months when transferring to
another MOS
POC for Bonus Questions:
SFC John McCamey
[email protected]
GI Bill Kicker
Additional monthly stipend on top of GI Bill Programs
A current ARNG Member (Not AGR/TECH) is eligible to receive $200
rate as a standalone incentive if extend for a minimum period of
service that equals 6 years in an MTOE or Medical TDA unit.
Must be DMOSQ, primary position holder, not in over strength or
excess status in the grade of E-5 or below. No flagging actions…
Must remain in contracted CS until completion of 6 yr drilling
obligation unless accepting a Officer/Warrant Officer position.
Any voluntary changes in their CS MOS to include IST, unless due to
reorganization, relocation, reassignment or mobilization will result in
Eligible to receive $350 Kicker rate if enroll in Officer program
– OCS/WOCS: Complete Phase I, extend to meet 6-year contract
– ROTC: Must be an SMP, contract in the ROTC Advanced Course
– Have up to 90 days to contract for this Kicker. Otherwise, if you do
not have a BA/BS Degree, can contract for $200 Kicker.
POC: CPT Dustin Cebula
[email protected]
Tuition Assistance
– Federal Tuition Assistance
– Wisconsin Tuition Reimbursement
– Wisconsin GI Bill (Tuition
Federal Tuition Assistance Program
• Pays up to $250.00 per semester credit, up to a $4,500.00
maximum per fiscal year (1 Oct-30 Sep)
– Must apply No Earlier than 30 days but No Later Than the course
start date
– Must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA for an Associates/Bachelors
degree and a 3.0 cumulative GPA for a Masters/First Professional
– Any outstanding grades from usage through the Minuteman
website must be submitted to the Education Office or a hold will be
placed on future GoArmyEd applications
Money will be recouped for any failed courses or withdrawal from
courses not for military reasons. Masters degree courses will be
recouped if Soldier receives a “D”. It is the soldiers responsibility to
contact the education office to avoid future denial of funding.
Applying Through GoArmyEd
Soldiers can set up their account through
(Instructions and videos found on the website)
Required documentation; a Statement of Understanding (SOU)
signed by Company Commander and Soldier for E6 and below or
just signed by Soldier if E7 and above
Other required documentation; Student Agreement (Modified
Degree Plan), Itemized Invoice, current course schedule.
All documents are to be uploaded into GoArmyEd by the
individual Soldier
For Non-LOI schools the Soldier will be responsible for printing
off the approval of payment for submission to their school for
invoicing directly with GoArmyEd.
FTA will cover an Associates and Bachelors degree OR up to 150
semester hours of undergraduate credit, whichever comes first. It
will also cover a Masters degree OR up to 45 semester hours of
graduate credits, whichever comes first.
FTA is no longer authorized for First Professional Degree
programs area of study. Soldiers who are currently enrolled in a
First Professional degree will be authorized TA for courses
contained in their documented Degree Plan until 31 March 2013.
Contact the Education Office for specifics.
The number of credits above will only include all college credits
obtained after the start of using FTA.
Holds will be placed on any application in GoArmyEd for Soldiers
who have not turned in grades from previous FTA usage.
For those Soldiers using the Wisconsin Tuition Grant
reimbursement program, the segregated fees will now be required
by the Soldier to show amount in the application through
GoArmyEd and invoice.
GoArmyEd cont.
Please contact your school to see if they have signed the
DoD MOU at
In the summer of 2012 only those schools will be eligible for
continued FTA payments.
For assistance, contact GoArmyEd helpdesk at
WI Tuition Grant Program
• Will reimburse a soldier either the cost of their tuition for a
Wisconsin school, or the UW-Madison rate, whichever is the
least of the two rates (up to $4,296.00 per semester for the
2011/2012 school year)
• Good for 8 semesters of full time study
• Commissioned Officers and soldiers with a bachelors degree
are not eligible.
• DMA Form 189-E and list of qualifying schools can be found at
• Form must be received at DMA NLT 60 days after course
completion. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!
• Soldiers will ONLY get reimbursed for money paid out of pocket
POC for WI Tuition Grant Questions:
Ms. Karen Behling
[email protected]
WI GI Bill Overview
• Benefits
– Qualifying Soldiers can receive 100% remission of tuition
and fees for up to 8 full-time semesters or 128 credits.
(Tuition is paid directly to the school)
– Dependents may also be eligible for these benefits (under
specific circumstances)
• Eligibility
– Must serve on Active Duty for more than 90 days
– Must be a Wisconsin resident when called to Active Duty
– Must be living in Wisconsin upon completion of Active Duty
– Must attend a WI Technical College, 2-year UW College, or
4-year UW School
– As of 01 January 2010, if you are eligible for Post 9/11 GI
Bill Benefits, you must apply for that before you can
receive the WI GI Bill.
WI GI Bill Important Info
• The WI GI Bill (a state remission program) should not be
confused with the WI Tuition Grant (a state reimbursement
program) or the Federal GI Bill (a federal benefit)
• This program is not run through the WI National Guard.
Wisconsin Department of Veteran’s Affairs certifies
eligibility…the individual school runs this program.
• There is no delimitating date to use these benefits.
• Currently, Soldiers who complete Basic and Advanced
Individual Training for more than 90 days are
eligible…HOWEVER, speak to a Career Counselor or the
Education Office prior to using this benefit. This will ensure
you get all the information before making a decision you
might regret!!
For additional information, contact your CVSO or
GI Bill Programs
– CH 1606
– CH 1607
– CH 30 AD
– Post 9/11
– GI Bill Kicker
Important Info for all GI Bill
Soldiers are eligible to receive a maximum of 36 months of
benefits (full-time study) for any one GI Bill Program
Can only use a total of 48 months of any VA benefits combined
Can only use one benefit at any particular time
GI Bill Benefits can be used in conjunction with other programs
(FTA, WI Tuition Grant, etc.)
Soldiers must submit VA Form 1990 (to start benefits) or VA
Form 1995 (to change schools or level of education) along with
supporting documents (NOBE, EMS, DD-214) to both their VA
Rep at their school and to the VA through the online VONAPP
Application, current payment rates and enrollment verification
found at
GI Bill benefits can also be used for apprenticeships and On the
Job Training
Unemployed Veterans interested in VRAP should visit for information and eligibility
GI-BILL CH. 1606
• Eligibility Requirements
– 6-year Contract (enlist, re-enlist, extend to meet) or 6-year
Officer Service Agreement
– High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED, HSED)
– Complete IADT (Basic and Advanced Training) or OBC
– Be in Good Standing (NO AWOLs)
– Not be an AGR Soldier
• Can be used with MGIB Kicker
• Cannot use this program once discharged from the
National Guard…unless:
– Activated and then discharged (Number of months activated
plus 4 months)
– Medically Discharged
CH. 1607 Reserve Educational
Assistance Program (REAP)
• Eligibility Requirements
– Serve at least 90 days in support of a contingency operation
(Title 10 orders for OIF, OEF, ONE) after September 11,
2001 (Based on longest continuous MOB or 3 yr total)
• Can be used with MGIB Kicker
• Can participate in Buy-up Program
• Suspended while in the IRR/ING
• Benefits payable until ETS except:
-if a Soldier completes 8 yrs of military service, receives a
general discharge or higher then separates directly from the
select reserve can maintain for 10 yrs (medical discharge-NA)
Chapter 30 Active Duty GI Bill
• Soldier is eligible IF:
– Entered Active Duty in ANY Service or on AGR Status after
30 June 1985 for a period of at least two (2) years and
– Paid $1200 to participate in the program and
– Obtained their HS Diploma or 12 semester hours in an
education program leading towards a College Degree
• Eligibility Period:
– Ends 10 years from the date of discharge from Active Duty
– Must have received an “Honorable Discharge” from the
Active Component
• Soldiers can participate in “Buy-up” program
• Can still use this program when you leave the Military
CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
Newest GI Bill Program available
Entitlements include:
– Coverage of Tuition and Fees
– Book Stipend
– Housing Stipend
Can be used with MGIB Kicker
May be eligible to participate in Yellow Ribbon Program if at the
100% rate (visit the VA website for more information)
Can Transfer this benefit to Spouse or Children
Can take this with you once you leave the Military (15 years from
honorable discharge from Active Duty Orders of 90 days or more)
Once you decide to use this GI Bill Benefit, you must elect to give
up eligibility for another GI Bill benefit (Chapter 1606, 1607, or 30)
*For T10 time after 1AUG11, prohibits use of same period of service
to establish eligibility for multiple chapters of GI bill. However,
can split continuous active duty service.
Post 9/11 Benefit Overview
• Tuition and Fees
– Based on highest in-state undergrad tuition rates and
fees from a public Institution of Higher Learning (IHL) or
a yearly cap of $17,500 for private universities.
– Amount is based on percentage rate determined by total
Active Duty time (Title 10, Title 32 Section 502(f) for ONE
only, and/or Title 32 AGR for organizing, administering,
recruiting, instructing, or training) since 11 September
– Amount will not exceed the total cost of tuition and fees
– Paid directly to the School!!!
– Will also pay for licensing and certification tests
– Also reimburses for exams including: ACT, SAT, LSAT,
Post 9/11 Benefits Overview
• Housing Stipend
– Based on BAH for an E-5 with dependents at the zip code of
the learning institution (i.e. Madison, La Crosse, Wausau) or
½ of the national average for online schools ($684)
– Must be attending school more than half time and will
prorate the allowance based on rate of pursuit to
nearest multiple of ten (50%-100%)
– Pro-rated according to your percentage
– Active Duty (including Title 32 AGR) not eligible for
Housing Stipend
– Paid monthly to the Soldier based on number of days in
that month you are attending school. (For example, if
you go to school for 20 days in May, you will be paid for
20 days)
Post 9/11 Benefits Overview
• Book Stipend
– Based on $1000 per Academic Year ($41.67 per credit hour
for 24 credits)
– Pro-rated according to your percentage!
– Lump Sum payment paid directly to Soldier each Semester,
Term, or Quarter
– Soldier and spouses in a active duty status qualify
Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits for
• Dependent Eligibility:
– Can use benefits upon the Soldier serving at least 6 years
(Spouses) or 10 years (Children) in the Armed Forces
– Eligible for Housing and Book Stipend, Tuition, and Fees
(following same rules as the Soldier for spouses)
– Spouses are eligible for 15 years after the Soldier is
discharged from Active Duty, or earlier if specified
– Children are eligible until they are 26 years old, regardless if
they are married or not
Post 9/11 GI Bill Transferability
• Eligibility for Soldier to Transfer
– Must have served in the Armed Forces AFTER 01 August
– Must have completed at least 6 years of service
– Must agree to serve up to 4 more years (dependent on
retirement dates prior to Aug 2012)
– Must not have any Adverse Action Flags during the transfer
– Can only transfer up to 36 months of GI Bill benefits
– Must transfer prior to leaving the National Guard. Once you
leave, you can only modify and revoke benefits.
– NOTE to transfer to Children: You must transfer benefits to
your children BEFORE they are 18 (if not in college) or 23 (if
in college). NO EXCEPTIONS!!
Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer Process
• Step 1: Individuals may apply to transfer benefits using the online transfer of benefits (TEB) application at:
-May need to log in with MYPAY password
• Step 2: Complete the Post 9/11 Educational Benefits
Transferability Commitment and Statement of Understanding”
(SOU) form at:
• Step 3: Upload SOU to GI Bill Support Team at that site or by
fax at 501-212-4928, or by mail to Education Support Center,
ATTN: GI Bill Support Team, Box 46 Camp Robinson, North
Little Rock, AR 72199.
• Step 4: Dependents complete VA Form 22-1990e at to receive benefits
*All status updates for this action will be sent to the Soldiers
AKO email
GI Bill Kickers
• If you have a GI Bill Kicker in your enlistment/re-enlistment
contract, be sure to indicate on your GI Bill application that
you have a kicker. (VONAPP or VA Form 22-1990)
• Attach a copy of your kicker contract to the application to
ensure the VA has the most accurate information when
processing your application.
POC for GI Bill Questions:
CPT Dustin Cebula
[email protected]
& Testing
Benefits Counseling
– Post 9/11 vs. Chapter 1607 or Chapter 30 GI Bills
– Military friendly school & program
– Explanation of available benefits and incentives
– How to maximize your use of benefits
– How to utilize DANTES/CLEP testing to earn
ASVAB Retests (AFCT) computer based
ACT/SAT (In paper form)
AFAST (In paper form)
GRE and GMAT Reimbursement (Contact for form)
• Currently, the WING has an agreement with Concordia University to
offer on-line testing for DSST and CLEP. To schedule an exam,
please visit for available test sites.
• Retests for CLEP, DSST, ACT, or SAT not paid for through
POC for Counseling or Testing Questions:
CPT Dustin Cebula
[email protected]
Things to keep in mind…
• The guidance in this slide show is based on Policy as of
• Policy continually changes; If you have questions about
what you are eligible for, look at your contract, talk to your
Readiness NCO and Battalion Career Counselor, or the
Education Office personnel.
• Ultimately, the decision on which program to use is an
individual responsibility. We can only advise you on what
you can use…
• Take ownership of your benefits and
make an informed decision!
CPT Dustin Cebula
Education Services Officer
[email protected]
Incentives Officer
SFC John McCamey
Incentives NCO (SRIP)
[email protected]
SSG Jingbo Zhang
Incentives NCO (SLRP)
[email protected]
Ms. Karen Behling
WI Tuition Grant Program Manager
[email protected]

similar documents