Tier 4 Immigration - King`s College London

Polly Penter
International Student Advisor
– Immigration Advice at King’s
– What should my visa say?
– Police Registration
– Your Sponsor’s Responsibilities
– Changes to your Studies
– Returning to the UK
– Work During Study
– Extending your Visa
Seeking Advice
Our Student Advisers:• Are the ONLY named College immigration advisers
• Receive official and regular training
• Provide advice that is regulated by the Government
• Run various workshops and provide up-to-date information via
our website:
Check Your Visa
• Check that all the information on your visa is correct
• Read all the corresponding information and check that you
understand it
• If you’re not sure about something, ask!
• Make copies of your visa and passport and keep them
somewhere safe
• Keep letters from the Home Office/UKVI somewhere safe as you
may need these in the future
Entry Clearance
• Compulsory for all non-EEA/Swiss nationals studying for 6 months+
to secure entry clearance before travelling
• You cannot extend your stay in the UK if you didn’t originally obtain
entry clearance
• If you arrived in the UK without entry clearance, or are here with
permission to stay in a category other than Tier 4 or “Student”, speak
to a Student Adviser
• Cannot study for more than 30 days if here as a Visitor
Tier 4 Entry Clearance
• Students on degree courses should receive leave for the length of their
course, plus an additional four months, with permission to work
• Students on courses lasting longer than 6 months but less than one year
should receive two additional months’ leave after the course end date
• You should have the right to work up to 20 hours per week (or 10 hours
if you’re studying below degree level)
• Your visa should include the King’s College London licence number
Visa errors
• Possible to correct mistakes made on your entry clearance stamp
(e.g. end date/working conditions/licence number)
• Send your passport and a covering letter to UKVI
• Contact us if you would like further advice/assistance:
[email protected]
• Cannot be amended if due to incorrect course dates on the CAS
• See http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-
Students/Immigration-/Other-immigration-matters/ for more
Police Registration
• “Relevant foreign nationals” entering the UK for more than 6
months are required to register with the police
• Your visa should state that you are required to register
• Initial registration or registering a change of circumstances (e.g.
new address/extension of student leave/change of institution/new
passport) must be done within 7 days, in person or through the
Visa Support Team
• £34.00 fee. Take evidence of student status, passport, 2 passport
photos and a copy of your visa/passport
• Register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office – 323 Borough
High Street
• You should have a visa for King’s College London, or
• You should have applied to extend your visa for study at King’s
• You can enrol temporarily if you can show us proof of
application, e.g. the payment receipt; or
• You may have a visa issued before the introduction of Tier 4, or
another type of visa (EXCEPT Visitor) – check with a Student
Adviser if it allows you to study
Your Sponsor’s Responsibilities
Your sponsor is obliged by law to report certain information about
you to the Home Office, including…
• If you do not enrol
• If you take a break from or defer your studies
• If you stop attending (miss “expected contacts”)
• If you leave your course
• If you switch to another immigration category
• If you break other visa conditions (e.g. working)
• Your visa is likely to be curtailed (i.e. will end early) by the Home
• To ensure you are engaging with your studies
• To see how you are progressing on your course, and
discuss any concerns you may have
• To ensure you still have the correct immigration
• Only takes a few minutes and happens twice a year
• Will receive an email with details. You must attend,
or respond to the email to arrange another time
Changes to Your Studies
You must discuss the following with a Student Adviser before
taking action:
• Leaving your course
• Switching to another course within King’s
• Changing your mode of study (e.g. to part time)
• Taking a break from your studies
You’ll need to complete a “change of circumstances” form.
•Discuss matters with an adviser if you need to take resits
Changing Course
• If you change course within King’s and your new course is the
same length, you shouldn’t need to do anything
• If your new course is longer you’ll need to extend your visa
• If your new course is shorter, you will need to inform the Home
•If you want to move to another institution, you will need to obtain
a new visa as your current visa only allows study at King’s
•If you will be interrupting your studies, you will usually be
expected to return home and your visa will be cancelled
If You Lose Your Passport/Visa
• Report loss/theft to the police
• Obtain a new passport
• If you have a Biometrics Residence Permit, report the loss to the
UKVI within 30 days or you will be fined
• To apply for a replacement visa, complete form TOC (fee of £147)
• To obtain a new BRP, complete form BRP(RC) (fee of £38)
• There is no requirement to carry your passport/BRP with you in
the UK – so it’s safer to leave it at home!
Returning to the UK
You need to be able to demonstrate you still meet the immigration
requirements each time you enter the UK.
You will need to show:
• Visa
• Enrolment confirmation letter (from the Compass)
• Evidence of sufficient funds
• Intention to leave the UK if near the end of the course
Make sure you have these documents in your hand luggage so you
can show them to the Immigration Officer
Travelling elsewhere
• Check if you need a visa and apply well in advance
• Make sure you have the right documents to re-enter the UK
• Check the safety briefings on www.fco.gov.uk
• Get insurance and be really careful of your belongings, especially
your passport!
• Take emergency contact details with you: your insurance
company, credit card companies, local embassy and King’s
Working During Study
• Requirements very strict – if in doubt, ask!
• Check your visa!
• Students at degree level+ can usually work for up to 20 hours per
week in term time and full time during vacations
• Summer does not count as vacation for Masters students!
• PhD students: vacations must be agreed with supervisor
• Cannot be self-employed, take up a permanent full-time role or
work as a professional sportsperson/entertainer
• You can work for up to 4 months after the end of your course or
until your visa expires (whichever is sooner)
Visa Extensions
• Start preparing your application at least two months before your
expiry date
• If you apply after your leave expires you will be refused
• Check rules to ensure you can extend – there are strict rules
governing the time you can spend studying, which courses you are
allowed to do and when you can apply
• Ensure you meet all the requirements and that documents meet
specified formats.
• Get your application checked by a Student Adviser
Updating Your Details
It is important to keep your details up-to-date with UKVI
throughout your studies, or else you could face £1000 fine or
cancellation of leave. Data includes:
• personal details;
• criminal convictions;
• contact details;
• representative’s details; and
• dependants’ details.
To update UKVI, you should complete the online form at
Contacting Us
Immigration Advice:
• By email – [email protected]
• At drop-ins
Information is always available on our website:
Registration issues:
• [email protected]
Visa errors:
• [email protected]
Useful Websites
• www.ukcisa.org.uk – immigration guidance
• www.gov.uk/ukvi – forms and guidance for immigration
• www.kcl.ac.uk/advice - guidance and our contact details
• www.facebook.com/kingsinternationalstudentsupport workshops and updates
Let’s see what you’ve learned….
…with a little quiz…

similar documents