Special Needs Trust Program

Caring for Your Loved One
with a Disability
8417 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 107, Overland Park, KS 66212
Phone: 913.648.0233 | Fax: 913.648.0057
[email protected]
Care and Support for Life
When a member of the family has a disability,
there are so many needs to be addressed.
You can help today, but what about tomorrow?
Who will guide your family member when you are
deceased or simply unable to assist any longer?
About Arcare
• Certified 501c(3) organization
• Established in 1982 by a group of parents who didn’t
want to leave these challenges to chance, or to family
members who may or may not be available to help
• Variety of services tailored to each client’s unique needs
• Mission: To provide exceptional service to its clients and
their families — not to generate a profit
Future Care Planning Services
Arcare works to help families develop a plan of
action that responds to real-life situations today and
anticipates needs for the future.
• Annual Review – The plan is reviewed and updated
• Ongoing Services – These services are put in place to
ensure a loved one with disability is cared for after the
parents are deceased, disabled or move out of area.
Types of Ongoing Services Offered
Money Management
Independent Living
Trust Services
– Arcare Trust I
– Arcare Trust II
• Representative Payee Program
The Arcare Plan
• The Arcare Plan protects your loved one with a disability.
• We provide the outline.
• Together, we design the Plan to your specifications.
• As a team, we ensure the Plan is tailored to the needs of
your son or daughter.
• With a personalized Plan in place, you can be confident
that we’ll assume the responsibility of caring for your
loved one when you’re deceased or no longer able.
Information Included in the Plan
Lifestyle preferences
Medical needs
Family values
Financial plans
Personal considerations
Living arrangements
Any additional information you think is important
to help provide ideal care for your loved one
When Does Care Begin?
• We start service right away if there
are current needs.
• Or, use the plan as peace of mind for
the future when you can’t be there for
your child.
In Relation to Other Services
• Arcare doesn’t replace Medicaidfunded services.
• We add to them, as you have.
Arcare Trust Services
• A trust is a legal document established by one or more
persons who are called settlers or grantors.
• The trust is used as a vehicle for managing assets,
protecting the funds of the beneficiary and ultimately for
directing distributions.
• Arcare offers two types of Special Needs Trusts (SNT):
– Trust I, a third-party pooled trust
– Trust II, a self-settled pooled trust
Arcare Trust I
• Child who meets Medicaid Eligibility Guidelines.
• Parent who wants to ensure Child is able to
receive inheritance.
• Additional benefactors (e.g., grandparents,
friends of the family, extended family members
or any other interested parties)
How Arcare Trust I Works
Settlor = Arcare
Arcare Trust I
“Master Trust Document”
Trustee Arcare
Third Party
Assets are pooled for investment
and management purposes.
Each Beneficiary has a Joinder Agreement.
Bob Smith
Carol Jones
Frank Garcia
Arcare Trust II
• Assets belonging to individual with disability
• Payback/Estate Recovery (Medicaid)
• Special Needs Trust (same as Trust I)
• Discretionary (same as Trust I)
Arcare Trust II
• If an individual is a recipient of SSI/Medicaid
– and the individual receives lump sum >$2,000 Social
Security Check
– or the parents die without a will or trust the assets are
passed down to the child in equal portions per
Kansas Law >$2,000
– or the individual receives a legal settlement
(lump sum >$2000)
– or the individual with earned income has problems keeping
resources <$2,000 …
How can the individual maintain eligibility?
The Arcare Trust II is the
How Arcare Trust II Works
Settlor = Arcare
ARCare Trust II
“Master Trust Document”
Self-Settled Trust
Court Order
Assets subject to Estate Recovery
Assets are pooled for investment
and management purposes.
Each Beneficiary has a Joinder Agreement.
Trustee Arcare
Requesting Distributions
from a Trust
• Policies and Procedures sent out after trust is funded
• Request forms for distributions include ongoing
distributions, mileage, caregivers, auto purchase, home
purchase, etc.
• Distributions reviewed daily, processed weekly
• Requests must be in writing but can be submitted via
mail, email or fax
• Proper documentation required
Distributions from an SNT
The Dos (payments must be made to a vendor)
Advocacy services
Pre-Paid Burial Expenses of beneficiary
Cable television
Camp tuition
Clothing for the Beneficiary
Computer hardware and software
Curtains, towels, linens, decorative items
Education, tuition, books or transportation to same
Entertainment and recreation tickets
Equipment (electronic, entertainment, adaptive)
Expenses related to owning and operating one car
Furniture and household items
Gardening and lawn care
Guardianship and advocacy services
Home appliances
Home renovations to improve accessibility
Homeowner insurance premiums
Independent evaluations
Insurance premiums (health, dental, life, care and renter)
Internet access
Job coaching
Legal fees
Magazine subscriptions
Medical equipment
Medical, nursing and dental care, not covered by another
Massage therapy
Office supplies
Personal assistance
Pet care and supplies
Private counseling and case management
Private lessons and materials
Stamps and writing supplies
Supplemental dietary needs
Telephone service
Testing (vocational, medical, psychological, etc.)
Vacation expenses including transportation and hotel
Distributions from an SNT
The Don’ts (or at least try not to)
• Don’t distribute cash directly to the beneficiary.
• Don’t make payments for food or shelter.
(This includes rent, gas, electric, water and waste
Arcare Representative Payee
As an organizational payee, Arcare:
• Charges the SSA-regulated fee of $40/month for service.
• Develops a budget for meeting an individual’s needs.
Per Social Security requirements, basic needs (food and
shelter) are priority.
• Puts money on a UMB debit card for spending and
groceries weekly or monthly.
• Works closely with the individual and/or case manager.
• Sees clients by appointment only.
Who Needs a Representative
• Having a representative payee is not an option
or a choice.
• A form from SSA (SSA 787) must be signed by a
doctor or medical officer.
• SSA appoints a representative payee when a
beneficiary is determined incapable of managing
or directing someone else to manage his/her
Social Security and/or SSI payments.
How to Initiate Our
Representative Payee Service
1. Contact the local SSA branch at 1.877.455.9978 and
tell them you would like to make an appointment to
appoint/change payees to Arcare.
2. After the meeting, call Arcare at 913.648.0233 to
share your needs with John Briggs.
3. Once you receive paperwork from Arcare, fax or mail
back the completed documents.
4. After we receive notice that we have been assigned
as payee, we will contact the beneficiary and set up
an appointment to establish budget.
5. NOTE: The process often takes 4-6 weeks.
Leverage Arcare’s Experience
Arcare has experience working with:
• Social Security Administration (SSA)
• Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
• Community Developmental Disabilities Organization
• Day service providers
• Residential service providers
Additional Arcare Services
Other areas of expertise include:
Medicare Part D plans
Case management
The Roles of Arcare
According to your preferences and your
loved one’s needs, Arcare can serve as:
Durable Power of Attorney
Representative Payee
All-Around Problem Solver
Why Arcare is a Smart Choice
• Professionalism
• Ease of administration
• Expertise with disabilities
• Pooled assets
• Continuity
• Cost
At Arcare,
QUALITY (of life) is job #1.
Contact the Arcare team to set up an appointment today.
8417 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 107, Overland Park, KS 66212
Phone: 913.648.0233 | Fax: 913.648.0057
[email protected]

similar documents