FWS Presentation - Saint Louis University

Federal Work Study
Student Financial Services
Kristie Signorello
Financial Aid Specialist
[email protected]
In order for students to be eligible for participation in the FWS
program at Saint Louis University, the following criteria are
• Student with full-time registration in a degree-seeking program and
charged the full-time tuition rate will receive priority review.
Three-fourths and half time students will be reviewed thereafter.
• Student must show financial need as determined by the Office of
Student Financial Services. Student must file the Free Application
for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.
• Student’s financial aid file must be complete. All
requested documents must have been submitted and
verification of data completed prior to receipt of FWS
Request Form.
• Student must make Satisfactory Academic Progress
for receipt of Title IV student aid as verified by the
Office of Student Financial Services.
• Student must be requested via the FWS Request Form
and be approved and assigned by the Office of Student
Financial Services.
What is “Financial Need”?
Estimated cost of attendance – School determines the
estimated amount that it will cost to attend.
Minus EFC (Expected Family Contribution) –
Determined each year through the FAFSA.
Equals financial need.
Posting your job:
• Prepare your job description. The form for this, as well as all
other forms you’ll need, are online at finaid.slu.edu under “Forms
and Information” – Faculty/Staff Documents.
• Send the job description to [email protected] You will need to
send a job description each year, even if the job has not changed,
to stay in compliance with the Federal Work Study regulations.
• Post the job at http://slu.edu/x30305.xml. You will have to
register as an employer. This site is administered through Career
Services. You will indicate that you are looking for FWS-eligible
student workers.
Departments may only hire a student for an
FWS position with official approval from the
Office of Student Financial Services. This
request must be in writing/email to the FWS
Specialist on the FWS Request Form.
Departments will receive the request form back
with the appropriate response and/or eligibility
amount. Copies of all requests are kept on file
in the Office of Student Financial Services.
Term Dates
• Fall Term: August 28, 2011 – December 24, 2011 up to 15 hours per week
• Holiday Break: December 25, 2011 – January 14, 2012 – up to
40 hours per week
• Spring Term: January 15, 2012 – May 12, 2012 –
up to 15 hours per week
Summer Term
Students may work up to 40 hours per week during the summer term.
Summer term is always handled separately from fall/spring. A student who
is FWS eligible for fall and spring may or may not be eligible for
summer, as there are some different criteria involved.
If a student is not enrolled for summer term, but is enrolled for the
following fall term, they may still be eligible for FWS during the
summer. In those cases, the student’s eligibility is based on the following
year’s FAFSA information.
Even if a student has been working for your department during the fall
and/or spring, you must do a new FWS Request and EPAF for summer.
In order for a student to move from one assignment to another, we
must have verification from the original employer/department in
writing, through email or fax, stating that the department is ending
the student’s assignment.
The verification must include the date the assignment has ended or
will end. The department must also send a revised EPAF to Human
Resources showing the new end date. No additional hours should
be submitted on the ended FWS assignment once the new end date
has passed.
This is to help prevent double EPAFs for the same student at
different departments and students being paid out of incorrect
When verification is completed, SFS will be able to re-assign the
student to a new department if requested and the new department
may submit an EPAF.
Use the FWS Request Form provided online to send requests for students
to participate in the FWS program. This is the ONLY form used for this
As stated, the FWS Request Form is only a request to hire a student. The
request form does not guarantee that the student is eligible to work in your
FWS eligibility can change after being reported to the department on the
FWS Request Form. Such things as FAFSA changes and financial aid
award revisions can change FWS eligibility at any point during the year. If
this happens, we will make every attempt to keep the FWS eligibility as
close to the original award as possible, but there may be times when funds
will have to be charged back to the departmental account.
The student has applied for financial aid and has a valid FAFSA Record on file,
but does not show sufficient need for FWS.
We have not yet received a valid FAFSA record for the 2011/12 academic year and
cannot determine eligibility for financial aid at this time. If the students have
questions, advise them to contact their financial aid counselor at 977-2350 for
The student has already been requested by and assigned to another
department and is not presently available for your request.
On Wait List:
Student is eligible for FWS however funds are not available at time of request.
Review of these funds will be conducted on a monthly basis. Department requests
have been noted in system. Departments will need to request them again after the 15th
of the next month.
Incomplete file:
The student’s financial aid file is incomplete at this time. No further action may be
taken. Advise the student to contact his or her financial aid counselor immediately.
Refer to Me:
A situation exists within the student’s financial aid file, which requires the student to
contact this office for assistance. These are CONFIDENTAL MATTERS and no
information may be disclosed. Have the student contact his or her financial aid
counselor or me immediately.
Federal Work Study Off Campus Agreements
If you are requesting students that will work outside
of the University (meaning non-University owned
buildings), I will work with you directly to make sure
additional Federal Program guidelines are followed
before you can submit an EPAF. Please indicate on
your FWS request form if this student will work
outside the University.
Please make note, email is the quickest way to
have your request processed!
You may fax it or send it inter-office mail, but
realize these two options have delays in getting
processed. Email comes right to the desk for
processing. So I encourage everyone to email
the request to me! [email protected]
The FWS federal account will cover 75% of the federal
minimum wage toward the student’s salary. The
standard Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
The FWS account will cover $5.43 per hour of the
Federal minimum wage. The department’s share of
the FWS expense is the remaining 25%.
Students should only be paid for actual hours worked which
does not include lunch breaks, appointments, holidays, sick
time or studying time.
No student is allowed to exceed the maximum total hours
authorized for any given period. If the total maximum hours
are exceeded, the excess hours will be charged to your
departmental account.
If there is a possibility that your student(s) will exceed that
maximum or if you had reallocations processed last year,
please set up a regular student worker assignment initially
when you submit your EPAF(s) to cover any hours worked
over the maximum allowed.
EPAFs-Electronic Personnel Action Form
Please make sure when completing your EPAFs
that you are using the correct information.
Some common reasons why an EPAF will be
sent back for corrections are:
Incorrect fund number: Correct fund # is 397211 until July 1, 2012.
Incorrect account number: Correct FWS Account # is 662000
Incorrect labor distribution %: See labor distribution chart
Work Study is a FEDERAL Program, and
we must stay in compliance with the
Federal program guidelines!
There are no exceptions. We must use
correct forms, calculations, fund and
account numbers. If it is not correct,
FWS Requests and EPAFs can not be
Step by Step Guide to FWS
1. Prepare the FWS Job Description.
2. Send it to FWS Specialist: [email protected]
3. Post the job through Career Services (977-2828) on http://slu.edu/x30305.xml
4. Interview students, and once you know who you want to hire, complete the FWS Request
Form, found at: http://www.slu.edu/Documents/enrollment/sfs/12y%20fwsrequest.xls
5. Forward it to my email.
6. I will determine the student’s eligibility and send it back to you.
7. If the student is eligible, you submit their EPAF.
**Some important information you will need for the EPAF
Fall/Spring term dates: 8/28/11 – 5/12/12
Holiday Break: 12/25/11 – 1/14/12
FWS Fund Code: 397211
FWS Account Number – 662000
Labor Distribution - http://www.slu.edu/services/fin_aid/forms/FWSLaborDistribution.pdf
8. The student submits proof of eligibility to work to Human Resources.
9. Once the EPAF is approved by all approvers, a time sheet is created in the student’s
“MySLU”, where they can log their hours.
Job Description
Post job on career
services site.
Student Worker
FWS Request
Submit EPAF
(comes to FWS Queue)
EPAF goes through Queue
HR Approval
Timesheet created
FWS Approval
& Amount
Kristie Signorello, FWS Specialist: 977-3438
Email: [email protected]
Student Financial Services: 977-2350
Career Services: 977-2828

similar documents