College Planning for the College Bound Student

College Planning for the
College Bound Student
Think about it.
Why should I go to
How do I prepare?
How will I pay for it?
Why go to college?
The more education you have, the more likely
you are to:
Be healthier.
Live longer.
Enjoy your job.
Stay employed.
Continuing your
education beyond
high school leads to
higher earnings.
Full-time workers with four-year college
degrees typically earn 60% more than those
with high school diplomas.
People with Master’s degrees can earn almost
twice as much per year as high school
People with professional degrees earn about
three times as much as high school graduates
over their working lives.
So where do I begin?
Start with a plan.
Making good choices
now will help you do
well in high school
and get ready for
Start thinking about your future today.
Learn about careers that sound interesting.
Set high standards for yourself.
Make goals and stick to them.
Use the tools and resources on to help you.
Build a support system.
Find an adult (or
adults) who can
support and guide
you on your journey.
Family member
Church member
College student
Consider your interests.
With hard work and
planning, it’s possible
to earn a living doing
something you love.
Someone has to create
video games, design
Nikes, or become the
president. Why not you?
Think about your…
What are
What are
What is
to you?
Who do you
want to be?
Explore careers.
Find out more about
jobs & careers by
taking an interest
inventory survey.
Some good ones to check out:
Plan for
Think about
where you
want to be in
ten years.
Will you be a doctor? A mechanic? A
What type of education do you
need to get there?
The choice is yours.
There are many different ways
to continue your education
after high school. What you
want to be will help determine
what kind of education you’ll
Technical, certificate, or Associate degree programs.
What do I need to get in?
High school diploma or GED.
How long will it take to graduate?
6 months to 2 years, depending on the program.
What kind of job can I get?
Fire fighter
Childcare provider
Truck driver
Hair stylist
Game designer
Where can I go?
A community or technical college, or a private
career school. Find one near you at
Bachelor’s degree.
What do I need to get in?
Earn a high school diploma & meet college
admission requirements, or transfer with credits
from a community college.
How long will it take to graduate?
4 to 6 years.
What kind of job can I get?
Registered nurse (RN)
Forensic anthropologist
Electrical engineer
Computer programmer
Public relations specialist
Where can I go?
A public or private college or university that offers
baccalaureate degrees. Find a list at
Graduate & professional degrees.
What do I need to get in?
Earn a four-year degree (Bachelor of Arts or
Bachelor of Sciences)
How long will it take to graduate?
1 to 7 years, or more.
What kind of job can I get?
Chemical engineer
Software developer
Social worker
Physician assistant
Where can I go?
Advanced degree programs are offered at
hundreds of universities nationwide and abroad.
So what are you waiting for?
Get ahead by earning
college credit in high
Advanced Placement (AP) and
International Baccalaureate (IB): Offered
at many high schools.
Running Start: Allows you to take college
courses and meet your high school
requirements at the same time.
Tech Prep: Allows you to begin to train
for a selected career, starting in 11th
grade. You’ll receive high school and
college credit.
Set yourself up for success.
Strive to be better
than average. You
want to stand out
when it comes time to
apply to college.
Get organized.
Practice good study habits.
Volunteer for community service.
Participate in extracurricular
Take tough classes to academically
prepare for college.
Use the checklists and timelines on our website to help you get organized
and plan for your future, one grade at a time.
Apply yourself.
Middle school is the right time to start planning the classes you need to take
in high school to be ready for college. Ask your counselor about your school
district’s high school graduation requirements to make sure you’re on-track.
Take the most challenging classes you can.
Take pre-Algebra and Algebra I in middle school.
Take English, science, math, and social studies every year.
Take electives, like world languages, music, and art, whenever possible.
But how will I pay for college?
If you want to go to
college, you can do it.
Money does not have to
be an obstacle.
First, college may not be as expensive as you think, and there
are many ways to reduce the costs. Talk to people who have
completed their degree and ask them how they paid for school.
Second, scholarships are available for students. You don’t have
to be the smartest, fastest, or most talented student, either.
Scholarships are awarded for all sorts of reasons.
Third, financial aid is available to help students and families pay
for college.
Financial aid basics.
Types of financial aid:
Sources of aid:
Federal government
Work Study
State of Washington
Colleges & universities
Student loans
Business & civic organizations
Grants are free money
for college that you
do not have to repay.
Grants generally come from
one of three main sources:
Federal government
State government
Institutions (your college or
Like grants,
scholarships do not
need to be repaid
after graduation.
Scholarships are awarded
Academic achievement
Specific skills or talents (music, art,
sports, etc.)
Community service
Financial need
Work Study
Work Study programs
provide part-time jobs
to undergraduate and
graduate students
with financial need.
There are two types of
Work Study:
Federal Work Study
State Work Study
Student Loans
Loans are borrowed
money that you must
pay back.
There are several sources of
student loans:
Washington State
Federal government
Private entities (banks)
What can financial aid pay for?
Tuition & Fees
Books & Supplies
Room & Board (includes food)
Personal Expenses
How do I get financial aid?
Financial aid is awarded by the college you attend. In January of your senior
year of high school, you will complete a form called the FAFSA—Free
Application for Federal Student Aid—and your college will use that form to
create a package of financial aid specific to you and your family.
That sounds complicated.
Don’t worry—when it’s time to apply for
college and files your FAFSA there will be
lots of resources available to help you. To
get a jump start on the process, visit
And most importantly, if
you’re eligible, you need to
sign up for the College Bound
Scholarship now!
What is the College Bound Scholarship?
The College Bound Scholarship…
Is a promise of college tuition and books
to qualifying 7th and 8th grade students in
Covers the average cost of tuition
(at comparable college rates), some fees,
and a small book allowance.
Can be used at two- or four-year public
and private colleges and universities.
Am I eligible?
If you meet ONE of these requirements, you are
eligible to apply:
You are eligible to receive free and reduced
price lunch.
You are a foster youth.
Your family receives TANF benefits.
Your family’s income meets the requirements
on the chart.
Note: Family income from the student’s senior year (submitted on your FAFSA) will be used to verify financial eligibility for the scholarship.
How do I sign-up?
Complete the application
online at
Sign-up in 7th or 8th grade.
The deadline is June 30 of
your 8th grade year.
You only need to sign-up
The student pledge & certificate.
By signing up for College Bound, you promise to:
Do well in middle school and high school, and graduate with a cumulative high school
grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
Be a good citizen and not be convicted of a felony.
Apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
during your senior year of high school.
Once your application is complete, you will receive a College Bound Scholar
certificate in the mail.
Apply for College
Bound in 7th or 8th
Take challenging
classes & keep your
grades up.
During your senior
year in high school,
apply for college.
In January of your
senior year, file your
College Bound Scholarship
[email protected]
Want to know more?

similar documents