By: Rhea Rodych Common uses of gold Jewelry Electronics Space and astronauts In modern medicine Gold’s history It was estimated that about six thousand years ago gold was still used to make ornamental objects. Many believe this was the first use of gold. Now a days about 78% of gold manufactured to make jewelry. The other 22% is used in electronics, medicine, and space equipment. Jewelry Gold is good to make jewelry for these qualities: -high luster -desirable color -not easily tarnished -easily malleable (can be hammered into shape). -it is very soft (it is the softest metal). Electronics Lots of electronics contain gold in them. Gold is a good energy conductor because it can carry small currents and remain free from damage or decay. Mainly because it is a metal It is highly reliable. Some common electronics that contain gold: -cell phones -computers - calculators But since one billion cell phones are produced each year and almost never recycled the amount of gold wasted is a very high. Gold in computers Gold has the ability is to transmit digital data through a computer quickly and efficiently. Gold also has the ability to transfer data from one device to another. This requires a reliable and efficient conductor. That’s why gold is in almost all computers. Space and Astronauts Gold is essential for safe and comfortable travel in space. Over 40.8 kilograms of gold were used on the Columbia space shuttle. Without it man would have never landed on the moon. NASA uses sheets of gold 0.15mm thin to help protect the astronauts from radiation from the sun. Medicine Its used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, liver, eye, and ear diseases. Even depression. It is used in drugs like DMARD’s. Which are drugs to help treat arthritis. Recently gold has had new purpose to help cancer treatments. Particles are inserted in the tissues to act as a radiation source for cancer treatment. Radioactive gold is used in lots of surgical instruments and life support devices as well. Bibliography Information http://www.recyclefrog.com/Resource_Centre/Resource_Centre_Modern_Uses_of_Gold.php Pictures Gold bricks: http://www.free-press-release.com/uploads/news/2012/10/16/1350415816_img0.jpg Gold chunk: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://technabob.com/blog/wpcontent/uploads/2009/01/gold_nugget.jpg&imgrefurl=http://technabob.com/blog/2009/01/31/fullgarbage-alchemistjapanese-sewage-plant-mines-gold-fromsludge/&h=243&w=520&sz=46&tbnid=t0ReUbzNgU7VlM:&tbnh=54&tbnw=116&zoom=1&usg=___sGMCMcXfIIxhAEnt0rEwd qy5_o=&docid=gonn-2943GvXYM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lVqEUILBDoGFyQHCjoGwAg&ved=0CCsQ9QEwBA&dur=580 Gold bangles: http://images03.olx.in/ui/15/23/14/1348136247_440131914_1-Buyer-Of-Gold-Jewellery-in-DelhiKarolBagh.jpg Space shuttle #1: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mBSjhpMoRZ8/TigbS4yYO_I/AAAAAAAAB3s/JhthPbsuWow/s1600/space_shuttle_13.jpg Space shuttle #2:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7DpBjjP_s9Q/Txufp7MJ5I/AAAAAAAAAS4/4ZZNNXiDccw/s1600/SpaceShuttleAtlantis-Launch-01.jpg Space helmet: http://www.amnh.org/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/amnh/import_exhibits/import_exhibit_images/28helmet.jpg/237713 -1-eng-US/28helmet.jpg.jpg Continued… Medicine pills: http://www.pharmaafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/medicine_pills.jpg Gold Macbook: http://www.scrollonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MacBook-pro-24-carat-Gold1.jpg Gold hp: http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/61/18/006320/hp-mini-2140_gold.jpg Cell phones: http://emfsafetynetwork.org/?p=7093 Calculators: http://www.colourbox.com/preview/2695564-272468-calculators-and-pencils-isolated-on-white-background.jpg Thanks for watching!