CPT/OPT Workshop

What is CPT?
CPT or Curricular Practical Training is an off-campus
employment option for F-1 students.
The internship (training experience) MUST be considered
to be an integral part of the curriculum and directly
related to the student’s major area of study.
• Training that is required for all students
• Training is required for a particular course or major
• DSO authorization required
• No application fee or USCIS authorization for CPT
What is OPT?
OPT or Optional Practical Training is an employment option
available to F-1 students for employment directly related to
the major area of study.
• 12 month period of OPT per higher degree level.
• 17 month STEM Extension OPT may be possible for some
• Pre-Completion OPT
• Part-time or Full-time employment during the student’s annual vacation
and holiday breaks, and intend to register for the next term.
• Employment while school is in session (not to exceed 20hrs/week)
• Post-Completion OPT
• After completion of all course requirements for the degree, excluding
thesis or equivalent
• DSO authorization required
• Application fee and USCIS authorization required
A closer look at CPT…
To be eligible for CPT, you must:
Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one
academic year (9 Months)
Have a declared major
Have a job/internship offer directly related to your major area
of study
CPT Regulations
• No limit on the number of times or the length of time a
student may engage in part-time or full-time CPT
• The use of 12 months of full-time CPT affect eligibility for OPT
at the same education level
• May engage in CPT only for the specific employer, location,
and period approved
• Must have an offer of employment from an employer offering
work that qualifies as CPT
• MUST receive authorization from ISS advisor (Aleta or Soha)
BEFORE starting employment
• Must continue to maintain a full-course of study in F-1 status
during period of employment.
How to request CPT
• Have a job offer letter (document how job is related to major)
The employer must provide the you a written offer on official letterhead. The following
information must be included in the letter:
Employer Name
Employer Address – and location where student will work
Employment Start and End Dates
Number of Hours Expected to Work Per Week (Full-Time or Part-Time)
Position Title
Position Description
Name of Immediate Supervisor (if known)
• Internship Approval form signed by academic advisor (this form is available from the
ISS office)
• Make appointment with the ISS office (bring all documentation of CPT employment)
• If your CPT is approved, a new Form I-20 with the CPT employment authorization will
be issued.
Questions about CPT?
A Closer look at OPT
To be eligible for OPT, you must:
Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for
one academic year (9 Months)
Have completed degree program
Have not used full-time CPT for 12 months or
OPT Regulations
• Employment must be directly related to your academic major and be
commensurate with your educational level
• Standard OPT time per degree level is 12 months
• the 12-month allotment per degree level may be divided into various
segments (Pre-Completion or Post-Completion OPT)
• Post-Completion OPT
• Used after degree program completion
• start date must fall within 60 days of program completion
• MUST receive authorization from ISS advisor (Aleta or Soha)
• USCIS application, application fee of $380, and approval is required before
employment can start
• Unemployment Limit of 90 days starting from OPT start date
OPT Con’t…
• During Post-Completion OPT, F-1 status is dependent upon
• Students may not accrue an aggregate of more than 90 days of
unemployment during any Standard Post-Completion OPT.
• For Post-Completion OPT, the employment does NOT have to be
paid employment as long as there is no violation of labor laws, but
must be at least 20 hours a week.
• interning or volunteering in a position directly related to the
academic field
• work for hire (contractual relationship)
• employment through an agency
How to Request OPT
• Pick-up an OPT Application packet from ISS office
• Review any prior CPT or Pre-Completion OPT with your ISS
advisor (Aleta or Soha)
• Complete all requirements of the OPT Application
• Make appointment with ISS office to review application packet
• Receive new Form I-20 with OPT authorization from DSO
(Aleta or Soha)
• Mail application packet to USCSI
Employment Authorization Card
What does this mean???
Can I travel on OPT?
• Recommended Travel:
• Before the expiration of your I-20, with I-20 travel signature
• With EAD, signed I-20 for travel, valid visa, passport, letter from employer
• Not Recommended to Travel:
• Before I-20 has expired but OPT application is still pending and you have
NO job offer letter (not prohibited but may cause issues at the port of entry
• Before I-20 has expired but OPT application is still pending and you have a
job offer letter (not prohibited but may cause issues at the port of entry)
• I-20 has expired
• If your F-1 visa has expired and you will need to apply for a new one.
• While STEM Extension is pending you should not travel outside the US
What is my status while on OPT?
While you are on OPT you are still considered an F-1
student at Brockport.
Therefore you must:
• Notify the ISS office of any address changes to
[email protected]
• Have your I-20 signed for travel by the ISS office
• Decide if you want to keep your HTH health insurance
(there can be no break in coverage)
• Report employment information (name, address,
interruption of employment) and changes to employment
to the ISS office at [email protected]
Any Questions?
Contact the ISS office at [email protected] for more information or
to schedule an appointment.

similar documents