Presentation - myCEHD - Texas A&M University

Report
External Funding Fiscal Issues
CEHD CPI
January 2014
Resources for PIs
•
•
•
•
•
Becky Carr, Dean’s Office
Becky Kubina, EAHR
Kathy May, EPSY
Mary Helen Coady, HLKN
Kelly Freeman, TLAC
So you’ve just received external funding…
Contact your PA at SRS
Contact your department fiscal person
Meet the requirements to get an account
prior to the award
Request interim funding if needed
Work with your department resource
Do you have a new account?
Are there any people who will be paid from
this account?
What type of expenditures have you
budgeted?
Monthly review of funds
Expenses – Allowable?
• Problem areas in the past
– Memberships
– Equipment
Salary Savings
• Any salary savings generated by external funding returned to the College
will be distributed using these guidelines:
– the Dean's Office will retain 20%; the remaining 80% will be sent to the PI's
department;
– if any expenditure by the department is required to hire adjunct faculty for
course PI is buying out is incurred, this amount will be subtracted from the
80% of salary savings left after the Dean's Office share;
– from the funds remaining after the Dean's 20% and any course replacement
costs are subtracted, 33% will be awarded to the PI and 67% to the PI's
department.
• Principal investigators, and particularly junior faculty, are encouraged to
discuss with their department head any proposed exceptions to
departmental course buy-out policy in order to accomplish the work scope
of the project within budget limitations.
• Each department's policy (on dollars required on grant budgets for course
buyout and the manner in which salary savings will be distributed) should
be clearly articulated, accompanied by a numerical example illustrating
the policy and available for all faculty to read on a departmental website.
Indirect Cost Returns
• IDC ranges from 0-46%
• VPR’s Office returns 15% directly to the PI
– As of FY2012
• VPR’s Office currently returns 35% to the
Colleges
– Historically from 15-45%
– Historically CEHD has distributed 33% PI, 34% to department , 33%to college
CEHD IDC Return
$900,000
$800,000
$700,000
$600,000
$500,000
$400,000
$300,000
$200,000
$100,000
$0
FY05
FY06
FY07
FY08
FY09
FY10
FY11
FY12
FY13
Texas A&M University Indirect Cost Distribution
Old Distribution
New Distribution
PI-Faculty Research Incentive Fund
0%
15%
College Program Development Fund
39.5% (average)
35%
University Strategic Investment Fund
40%
35%
20.5% (approx.)
15%
Grants Administration Fees
Distribution of IDC in CEHD
$900,000
$800,000
$700,000
$600,000
College
$500,000
Department
$400,000
PI Direct
PIs
$300,000
$200,000
$100,000
$0
FY05
FY06
Return to
College 3035%, PI 5%
FY07
FY08
Return
to
College
45%
FY09
FY10
Special
return
on Qatar
account
FY11
FY12
FY13
Return to
College
35%,
Direct to
PI 15%
Expense Categories for College IDC over 10 years
3%
4%
11%
11%
19%
Payroll
Start-up
Equipment
Miscellaneous
Faculty Projects
College Projects
52%

similar documents