Outbound Study Abroad Online Orientation

The 411 on Health, Safety and
Academics while Studying Abroad
International Office
– The CSULA IP is a study abroad program. IP is not “travel abroad,” it is “study
– All coursework taken while studying abroad will appear as transfer credit on your
CSULA transcript.
– Since there are some academic formalities that may be difficult to take care of once
you are overseas, you should take care of the following things before you go:
Change/Add a major or minor.
Complete the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE) before departure.
File a petition for course substitutions or waivers.
Clear up any incomplete grades.
***Make sure to keep a copy of all documents for your records!***
– You must have a valid passport to leave and enter
the U.S.
– For more information on obtaining a U.S. passport
– A visa is an immigration document that gives you
permission to enter a country for a specific purpose
and for a specified period of time
– Visit your host country embassy website for more
information on the visa application procedure. Every
country is different and so make sure you have updated
– Please visit http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html
for more information on Visas.
– You are responsible for making your own
transportation arrangements to your host university
– Travel agencies specializing in student travel that
you may want to consider are:
Travel CUTS
STA Travel
www.travelcuts.com www.statravel.com
Once you have arrived
• Check in with your host institution
• Register with the U.S. Embassy on entering the country
and also exiting the country. Safe Traveler Enrollment
Program STEP www.step.state.gov
• Involve yourself in multiple campus events as soon as
possible. It helps guard against homesickness and
helps you adjust to the new culture. Most students do
experience some level of culture shock, even if it is
very slight. Be patient with yourself; however being
active will help tremendously.
• Make sure to request that official transcripts be sent
to the International Office before you leave your host
country. It might be hard to try and get official
transcripts sent to you once you have left. -
Health and Safety
• No orientation can alert you to every potential
difficulty, but goal is to provide you with some
background knowledge so that you can make
informed decisions.
• Read about life in your host country and follow current events
• Review U.S. Department of State info about your host country:
– the Consular Information Sheets www.travel.state.gov
the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) www.cdc.gov
STEP Safe Traveler Enrollment Program www.step.state.gov
Find out requirements & restrictions on travel with prescription meds
Find out where the closest hospital is and how to request an Englishspeaking doctor
– You must submit proof of health insurance valid in host country to
the International Office
Health and Safety
• Basics for college students abroad – Inform yourself
• Go To Guides for:
– Alcohol and Drugs Overseas
– Staying Healthy while Abroad
– Insurance for You and Your Stuff
• Find out what is covered & for how much.
– What to Do in an Emergency
– Safety Tips
– If You are the Victim of a Crime Abroad
– Women Travelers
• MEN AND WOMEN should learn about their host culture’s gender roles as
well as their views on sexuality.
• Keep others informed of your whereabouts:
– Inform the international office overseas of any travel plans.
– Stay in touch with your family.
Crisis Management
• You must provide the CSULA International Office
with your emergency contacts before you leave LA as
well as any changes that may occur.
• It is imperative that you register for the Smart
Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) though the U.S.
Department of State www.step.travel.state.gov
• Remember that you are subject to the laws of your
host country. www.studentsabroad.state.gov There is
no “Get Out of Jail Free” card just because you are a
U.S. citizen. Inform yourself.
At the end of your program
• Request that an official transcript be sent to the
International Office, Attn: Jennifer Amaya.
• Upon your return to the U.S. confirm that your
transcripts have been received by the Int’l Office.
• Once the transcript has been received, grades
typically show on your GET record in 4-6 weeks.
• Once it is on GET, meet with your academic
advisor to submit course substitution forms.
• Processing takes a minimum of one quarter to post
to your degree progress; necessary for graduation.
The Most Important Variable is
•Your personal health situation.
•Your personal habits.
•The activities you choose to engage in.
•The places you choose to go.
Ultimately, YOU are the most qualified person
to keep yourself HEALTHY and SAFE.
• I acknowledge that I have completed the Online Study Abroad
Orientation and I understand that:
I must have a valid passport.
I will need to apply for permission (a visa)to enter the host country.
I must arrange my own international travel.
I must submit the following to the International Office before
departing L.A.: the Liability Waiver, Clearance Form, Academic
Advisement form, proof of health insurance (dates & benefits) and
my emergency contact info before departure.
I must have health insurance valid in my host country while I am
abroad and provide a copy to the International Office.
I am responsible for knowing the local customs and laws.
My personal habits and my own decisions will have the greatest
impact on my overall health and safety.
I must submit the Online Orientation Acknowledgement (next).
Orientation Acknowledgement
I acknowledge that I have completed the CSULA Study
Abroad Online Orientation.
Name: _______________________________________
Please print: First name
Last name
CIN: ______________________
Dates of Participation: ___________to:
Destination: ________________________,__________________
Host Institution & Program Sponsor
Signature: __________________ Date: ____________
Please print, sign then return to: International Office GE 217,
5151 State University Dr. , Los Angeles CA, 90032. This is due at least
2 weeks before your departure. It can be dropped off at the Int’l
Office or scanned then emailed to me at [email protected] .

similar documents